This is something I’ve wanted to do for years, but have never had the money to realise it, but now with the Raspberry Pi unit nearly available at around $35, I think I can make it come a reality.
I’d love to be able to hang a screen on the wall (with a Raspberry pi attached to the back of it) that does the following via voice control:
- Shows a slideshow of images that it grabs from somewhere on the network (maybe even from Flickr?)
- Shows a weather page with a long range forecast
- Plays internet radio stations
- Plays videos from Youtube
- Shows a news page with latest updates
- Displays RSS feeds
- Shows a calendar
I’m sure I’ll come up with a bunch more ideas, and have no idea whether I could make it work, but given the price of the hardware and the open source nature of the software, I reckon you could do this for around $200!
Imagine being able to say “Computer, show me the weather” or “Computer, show me the news”, or “Computer, show me photos from Flicker of schnauzers”
The mind boggles…..